Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Things I have learned about myself.

People always told me that when I traveled overseas I would learn more about myself than I ever had before. I believed them, but not to the extent that I do now.
This morning we boarded the 8:05 train to Rome, Italy and for the first time in a week, I was forced to sit and watch the world pass by as I had time to think about life.
As I sat, I watched the country scenery slowly rise with the sun and begin its morning routine. Children went to school, roads became busy, and fog slowly drifted to the top of the mountains. First of all I have to say that traveling by European train is the way to go. It was so smooth, not to mention that the seats were better than flying first class on an overseas flight. But back to all my deep thoughts about life and European travel. All my life I have wanted to travel all over the world, just to be able to pick up and go wherever the wind carried me. Well after a week of doing almost that exact thing, I've realized that its really not for me. Don't get me wrong, it has been really neat and I have loved every adventure that we have gotten ourselves into, but this is not what my heart longs for anymore. The cities are crowded, the buses are crammed, and the rush to get nowhere is exhausting. Now I realize this sounds negative, but its really not. I have just come to the realization that my heart desires the peace and quiet of the woods or an old monastery. Its one of the moments when you think about how you thought you were and it makes you laugh because you are so different than you originally thought. I have told people for years, especially since I've been to Harding, that I am a city girl and I really don't like small towns. But when it comes down to it, I don't mind small towns and I am probably most happy in the wilderness.
With all that said, I am loving this trip and I am learning so much! Today we visited the Pantheon, the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, as well as several churches. It was bright and sunny for the first half of the day, and it poured for the second half, but we have been laid out to drip dry in our rooms for most of the evening and we are ready to tackle the day tomorrow!
Something else I've realized is that I'm not homesick, but I am tired of running around and being so busy all the time. On our next "free day" I am staying in Scandicci ALL DAY and doing nothing but reading and just thinking. It's going to be great!
Blessings from Roma!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection Amy ! Every experience is a step toward discovering/defining yourself. That said, take Europe in while you can! I read too much on the bus wgen I traveled abroad. So while I hear what you are saying about slowing down a bit, learn from my experience and don't put your nose in a book. You can read on the plane ride home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, Amy, Jen and I travel a lot! The hustle and bustle can get wearying. On our last two trips to Europe we really 'did it right' and for a lot less money. We rented an apartment and pretty moch lived like we normally do. Work a few days then travel a couple. Because we were there for so long we were less stressed when we wanted to take a day or two to kick back and catch our breath. On a trip like this you do not get that opportunity too often, you really have to fight for down time. With proper planning your next trip can be more structured to your needs... if you are in more control of your schedule, of course.

    ReplyDelete